Just over three years ago, Netflix unequivocally shot down the idea that it would ever roll out an ad-supported streaming service.
Click here to read the story at variety.com.
- What is an “ad-supported” streaming service?
- What is advertising?
- What is revenue?
- Why is revenue important to streaming companies?
- How will advertising help Netflix and Disney+ to generate more revenue?
- Why do you think Netflix and Disney+ were initially reluctant to consider allowing advertisements on their platforms?
- How do you think consumers will respond to the ad-supported streaming services?
- Netflix has been losing subscribers. Do you think this will help the company to gain them back? Why or why not?
- Based on information from this story, how lucrative might ad sales be for streaming companies?
- What types of companies might want to advertise on Netflix?
- Do you think the same companies that advertise on Netflix would advertise on Disney+? Why or why not?
- Do you think the same ads will be play for all shows or will different shows feature different advertisements? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.