Disney has major plans for the Avatar franchise, beginning with the release of Avatar 2 in 2022, and the series could even be bigger than Star Wars in the 2020s. Disney’s takeover of 21st Century Fox was completed in March 2019, bringing them, among other things, a wealth of new movie and TV IPs. Much of the focus in that regard has, rather understandably, been on what this means for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which will gain major characters like the Fantastic Four and X-Men, but for Disney it’s Avatar that represents the prize new asset.
Click here to read the story at screenrant.com.
- What is fandom?
- What is a brand? Is Disney a brand? Avatar? Star Wars?
- How might fandom and brand loyalty help boost Avatar’s sequel at the box office?
- What is a film franchise?
- According to this story, Avatar could be bigger for Disney than Star Wars. How so?
- In your opinion, will Avatar be bigger for Disney than Star Wars? Why or why not?
- What is brand extension? What might be one example of a brand extension Disney might consider when the Avatar sequel comes to theaters in 2022? Be prepared to discuss your ideas with your class.