Rebecca Welch remembers all too well the Thanksgiving Day she pulled the turkey out of the refrigerator to prep it for the oven and, with a crowd of in-laws standing around watching, realized it was still frozen solid. “I tried to remember everything I knew about thawing, but I was panicking,” she says. Finally, Welch did what some 100,000 other people do every year around Thanksgiving: She called Butterball’s Turkey Talk Line for help. The person at the other end talked her through the warm-water fast-thaw hack, and Thanksgiving was saved.
Click here to read the story at marker.medium.com.
- Why do you think Thanksgiving is important to the Butterball brand?
- Based on information from this story, just how important is the Thanksgiving holiday to Butterball?
- Why do you think the brand launched a “Turkey Hotline” for consumers?
- What will be different about the brand’s turkey hotline this year?
- Why might this year be particularly challenging for Butterball?
- If you were a marketer working for Butterball, what would you do to encourage consumers to buy its products this Thanksgiving? Be prepared to discuss and share your ideas.