Old Spice is looking to translate the popular white elephant gift swap to social media as the holiday activity, typically conducted in-person at parties, is waylaid by the coronavirus pandemic. The P&G marketer is taking an ambitious approach in trying to make its mobile-minded take on the game the longest-lasting to date, rolling out the social media activation well ahead of the actual holiday period and offering a pricey, decked-out man cave to the grand prize winner.
Click here to read the story at marketingdive.com.
- What is a white elephant gift swap and why will that tradition likely be a bit different this year?
- Why do you think Old Spice would want to tap into the spirit of the holidays?
- Based on information from this story, describe how Old Spice plans to host a white elephant gift swap this holiday season?
- What do you think Old Spice hopes to accomplish with this promotion?
- How might Walmart benefit from this promotion?
- Who is P&G?
- According to this story, how have P&G’s sales performed during the pandemic? Why do you think that might be?