Teacher Note: Consider downloading the “Golf Boom” infographic and PGA Tour case study bundle from SCC’s website. The content is accessible by clicking the “Bonus Content” link from your account page.
News story: Golf surged in popularity in 2020 by nearly every metric, as people sought out the socially distanced outdoor activity amid the pandemic.
More than 24.8 million people played golf in the U.S. in 2020, up more than 2% year-over-year and the largest net increase in 17 years, according to the National Golf Foundation.
Click here to read the story at cnbc.com.
- Based on information from this story, what impact has the pandemic had on participation rates in the sport of golf?
- Why is participation important for the sport to grow?
- How might an increase in participation impact sales of golf equipmment?
- How might an increase in participation impact PGA and LPGA Tour events?
- How might an increase in participation impact professional golfers?
- How might an increase in participation impact golf course business?
- How do you think TopGolf has impacted overall participation levels and/or interest in the sport of golf?
- If you were a marketing professional working for the PGA or LPGA Tour, what would you do to capitalize on the increased interest in the sport to help boost the popularity of the Tour, its events and its players? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.