What happens here, only happens here’, reads the new slogan of the self-proclaimed entertainment capital of the world.
Introduced two years ago to replace Las Vegas’ iconic former motto – ‘what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas’ – the city’s mantra is emblematic of its evolution; a transformation not just into something more than a travel destination, but into a thriving hub for professional sport.
Click here to read the story at sportspromedia.com.
- Why are pro sports important to the city of Las Vegas?
- According to this story, who was the first major league professional sports team to call Las Vegas home?
- Why do you think it took so long for a major league professional sports team to call Las Vegas home?
- What is competition for the entertainment dollar?
- How might the Las Vegas market be different from other cities as it relates to competition for the entertainment dollar?
- Las Vegas is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world. If you were a marketing professional working for a pro sports team in Las Vegas, would you focus on marketing the team locally or would you prioritize positioning the team as a destination for visitors? Why?
- Do you think the city of Las Vegas could support another major league sports team like the NBA or MLB? Could they support both? Why or why not? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.