The Texas Rangers 5-0 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks for their first championship on Wednesday night drew the largest audience of this World Series. However, it was not enough to prevent the five-game series from being the least-watched Fall Classic in recorded TV history.
Click here to read the story at espn.com.
- What are broadcast rights?
- Why do you think the broadcast companies invest millions in the broadcast rights to live sports?
- What are ratings?
- Why are ratings important to broadcast companies?
- Why are ratings important to MLB?
- What is advertising?
- Why are ratings important to advertisers?
- Why might a business or brand be interested in advertising during the World Series?
- Who do you think might be disappointed in the low ratings for this year’s World Series?
- Why do you think ratings were so low for this year’s World Series? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.