While Warner Bros.’ and Mattel Films’ upcoming Barbie movie is sure to have some level of self-awareness about its main character’s status as a real-world cultural icon, Mattel is taking a firm stance against featuring the iconic doll’s very unofficial anthem that basically everyone knows by heart.
Click here to read the story at theverge.com.
- What is a brand?
- Is Barbie a brand?
- What does it mean to have a strong brand?
- What is fandom?
- How might the strength of the Barbie brand and its position as a pop culture icon help the movie at the box office?
- This news story describes ‘Barbie Girl’ as the doll’s “unofficial anthem.” What does that mean?
- What is a trademark?
- Why do brands need trademarks?
- Why did Mattel sue the band Aqua for the ‘Barbie Girl’ song?
- In your opinion, should the song be featured in the upcoming film? Why or why not?