* Note to current subscribers to SCC’s Education Resource Center subscribers, you might consider downloading the “NBA x Nike Uniform Collection” lesson plan bundle to help augment your discussion of this news story in class! The resource is available by visiting the “Bonus Content” subscription link on your account page.
The Detroit Pistons have four courts. Twenty-three NBA teams have at least one alternate court. As the embracing of NBA’s City Edition uniform tradition continues, NBA teams have started going all-in on matching their arena court to the uniform.
Click here to read the story at forbes.com.
- What is branding?
- Why is branding important to Nike?
- Why is branding important to NBA teams?
- Do you think alternate courts represent an example of branding? Why or why not?
- Which alternate court do you like best? Why?
- What is cross promotion?
- How might this story represent an example of cross promotion?
- What is licensing?
- As it relates to the relationship between the NBA and Nike, who is the licensor? Who is the licensee?
- What is merchandise?
- Why are merchandise sales important to the NBA and its teams?
- Why are they important to Nike?
- How might the City Edition uniforms help to sell more merchandise?
- Which City Edition uniform do you like best? Why?