The Kentucky Derby is the most prized jewel in horse racing’s Triple Crown. Apart from the thoroughbreds and jockeys, brands are the other stars attempting to capture the eyes of the well-heeled, floppy hatted, julep-soaked masses descending on Churchill Downs in Louisville this weekend.
Click here to read the story at adweek.com.
- What is a mega event?
- Why do you think brands want to align with mega events?
- What is the Kentucky Derby?
- Why do you think brands might be interested in aligning with the Kentucky Derby?
- What types of brands might benefit from a Kentucky Derby sponsorship?
- Based on information from this story, what are two examples of brands that sponsored this year’s Kentucky Derby?
- What is sponsorship activation?
- Why is it important to activate a sponsorship?
- If you were a marketing professional at BMW, how would you activate your Kentucky Derby sponsorship? Be prepared to share your answers in class.