A series of CarMax advertisements featuring WNBA superstar Sue Bird, which recently went viral on social media, uses humor and misdirection to elevate female athletes who have faced decades of underrepresentation in media. Bird’s accomplishments on the court put her among the best players to ever play professional basketball.
Click here to read the story at CNBC.com.
- What is gender bias in sports?
- What do you think sports business leaders can do to address the issue of gender bias in the industry?
- How might athletes like Sue Bird help to address the issue?
- Why do you think CarMax chose to feature Sue Bird in their advertisements?
- What does it mean to “go viral” on social media from a marketing perspective?
- Why do you think this ad went viral?
- How might CarMax benefit from the ad going viral?
- Do you think this ad going viral will help improve the gender bias issues in sports? Why or why not?