Three-time NBA champion Dwyane Wade has purchased an ownership stake in the Utah Jazz, joining majority owner and team governor Ryan Smith with plans to take an active role in the franchise and region.
Wade, an eight-time All-NBA player with the Miami Heat, is the latest of several Hall of Fame-level players with NBA ownership stakes, including Grant Hill (Atlanta Hawks), Shaquille O’Neal (Sacramento Kings) and Charlotte Hornets majority owner Michael Jordan. Magic Johnson previously had a 4% stake in the Los Angeles Lakers.
Click here to read the story at ESPN.com.
- What is leadership?
- Why is leadership important for a pro sports franchise?
- What might Dwyane Wade be able to offer from a leadership position that differs from the team’s current ownership?
- Why do you think so many former players are investing in NBA teams?
- What is revenue?
- What are expenses?
- What do you think it takes for a NBA team turn a profit?
- In your opinion, is a NBA franchise a good investment? Why or why not?