FIFA, one of the most popular video game franchises, will be renamed EA Sports FC after the game’s publisher, Electronic Arts Inc., failed to reach a new licensing agreement with the world soccer governing body of the same name.
Click here to read the story at fortune.com.
- What is licensing?
- Why is licensing important to a sports or entertainment brand like FIFA?
- Why is licensing important to a consumer products company like EA Sports?
- Why do you think a license with FIFA was especially important to EA Sports?
- In this case, which company was the licensee?
- Which company was the licensor?
- Why do you think the two organizations did not renew the license for EA’s FIFA soccer game?
- Why will it be renamed?
- Will EA be able to continue to use the names of popular teams and players in the game? Why or why not?
- Do you think either organization will regret not coming to terms? Why or why not?