Major League Baseball’s Field of Dreams game was a dream come true for Fox Sports.
The network announced MLB’s movie-themed contest between the New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox attracted an average of 5.9 million viewers across TV and streaming, and was most-viewed MLB regular-season game on the network since 2005. In that season, the Yankees-Boston Red Sox contest on Oct. 1 also drew roughly 5.9 million viewers.
Click here to read the story at cnbc.com.
- What is fandom?
- How do you think fandom helped fuel the excitement for this game?
- What is cross promotion? Is this event an example of cross promotion? Why or why not?
- What is the difference between sports marketing and sports management?
- From an event marketing perspective, what do you think MLB and Fox did to help make the game such a huge success?
- What challenges do you think event organizers may have faced with this event from a sport management perspective?
- What are ratings?
- What is advertising?
- Why are ratings important to advertisers?
- MLB has already announced that they will play another Field of Dreams game next season. What might they do differently for next year’s event?