Staples Center is getting a new name for Christmas: Crypto.com Arena.
The downtown Los Angeles venue — home of the Lakers, Clippers, Kings and Sparks — will wear the new name for 20 years under a deal between the Singapore cryptocurrency exchange and AEG, the owner and operator of the arena, both parties announced Tuesday.
Click here to read the story at latimes.com.
- What is sponsorship?
- Why do companies invest in sponsorship programs with sports and entertainment properties?
- What are naming rights?
- Why would a company want to invest in naming rights to an arena like this one?
- Why do you think Staples chose to let its naming rights deal expire?
- Why do you think Crypto.com would be interesting in the naming rights?
- What is publicity?
- Through social media, many fans were critical of the name change. How do you think that publicity might impact Crypto.com?
- Do you think Crypto.com will benefit in the long-term from the investment? Why or why not?