Superstar gymnast Simone Biles announced in April that she was cutting ties with Nike to sign a partnership with Athleta, saying she valued the women’s activewear brand for seeing her as a person, not just an athlete. Two years earlier, Athleta wooed sprinting champion Allyson Felix, who announced she was leaving Nike because it had failed to support her when she was pregnant.
Click here to read the story at fastcompany.com.
- What is competition?
- What is the difference between direct and indirect competition?
- How would you describe the competition between Athleta and Nike?
- What is competitive advantage?
- What competitive advantage might Nike have over Athleta?
- What competitive advantage might Athleta have over Nike?
- What is product endorsement?
- How is Athleta’s approach to athlete endorsement different from Nike? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.