Quick: What’s the fastest growing sport in the world? Basketball? Nope. Soccer? Nah. Pickleball? Not even that. It’s esports. That’s right, according to data specialist Statista, an estimated 270 million viewers watched competitive gamers battle it out last year, and that number is expected to jump to 323 million by 2025.
Click here to read the story at fastcompany.com.
- What is the fastest growing sport in the world, according to this news story?
- Why do you think this sport is growing so fast?
- What are some of the industry’s biggest gaming leagues, outside of League of Legends?
- What makes League of Legends the biggest?
- How do you think Netflix’s ‘Arcane’ has influenced the popularity of League of Legends?
- According to this story, how long did it take for the League of Legends World Championship to sell out?
- How has the League of Legends World Championship become the biggest esports event?
- What is the difference between sports marketing and sports management?
- What is one example of how this story might represent an example of sports marketing?
- What is one example of how this story might represent an example of sports management?
- What is a venue?
- What venue will host the League of Legends World Championship?
- Based on what you learned in this news story, what challenges might event management professionals face when planning League of Legends World Championship events from a venue perspective?
- What is fan experience and why is it important at live sports and entertainment events?
- What did event organizers have to do to make sure the 2022 event provided the best possible fan experience for spectators (according to this news story)? How about in 2021?