Whenever readers ask how a game from another sport — even much-anticipated events such as a Red Sox postseason game or a Celtics or Bruins season opener, for recent examples — fared against a Patriots broadcast in the Nielsen ratings, I try to offer one particular reminder:
NFL games are so far ahead of other sports in viewership that there is really no comparison to be made at all.
Click here to read the story at bostonglobe.com.
- What are broadcast rights?
- What makes broadcast rights to live sports so valuable?
- What are TV ratings?
- Why are TV ratings important to broadcast companies?
- Why are ratings important to leagues like the NFL?
- Why are ratings important to advertisers?
- According to this story, NFL TV ratings are in a league of their own. What does that mean?
- How do you think the higher ratings for NFL have impacted how much they command for the sale of broadcast rights?