Corporate sponsors of the Tokyo Olympics have brought in marketing consultants to determine whether a direct association with the Games would damage their brands.
According to people working directly with some of the 47 big sponsors of the Games, Japanese companies have asked advisers whether they should embrace the Olympic imagery.
Click here to read the story at Financial Times.
- What is sponsorship?
- Why do brands sponsor events like the Olympics?
- How do you think brands determine which teams or events to sponsor?
- What types of brands might find the Summer Games as a good fit for an event to sponsor?
- What types of brands might not find the Summer Games as a good fit for an event to sponsor?
- What does it mean for a brand to be “damaged” (as suggested in the headline of this news story)?
- According to this story, why do some sponsors fear sponsoring this year’s Games could actually damage the brand?
- Do you think that is legitimate concern?
- What would you do if you were advising one of these brands?