The 2023 MLB regular season is in its final week, and the league’s national media partners are closing the year on a disappointing note.
Click here to read the story at awfulannouncing.com.
- What are broadcast rights?
- What is a national media partner as it relates to professional sports leagues like Major League Baseball?
- Who are MLB’s national media partners?
- Why might those partners be interested in spending millions to secure broadcast rights?
- What is viewership?
- How is television viewership measured?
- Why are ratings important to Major League Baseball and its teams?
- Why are ratings important to the league’s national media partners?
- Why might they be important to the businesses and brands who purchase advertising during MLB broadcasts?
- Based on what you learned from this article, was viewership up or down this season when compared to last?
- According to this story, what is one possible explanation for why the first half of the MLB season provided the league and its partners with much stronger viewership numbers than the second half?
- Do you think the league and its media partners are concerned about viewership for next year? Why or why not?