For 70 years, the name Topps has become synonymous with baseball cards. That longevity was threatened Thursday, as The Action Network confirmed that Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association have given their exclusive licenses to Fanatics. The union deal doesn’t start before 2023, and the MLB deal won’t start until 2026.
Click here to read the story at actionnetwork.com.
- What is licensing?
- In the case of MLB, MLB Players Association and Topps, who is the licensor in the relationship? Who is the licensee?
- What is an exclusive license?
- Why is licensing important to Topps as it relates to their baseball card business?
- How might MLB’s decision to grant an exclusive license to Fanatics impact Topps?
- Why do you think Fanatics would invest in exclusive licensing rights to baseball cards with MLB and MLBPA?