New trademark filings indicate New Balance is stepping into the metaverse. As of January 13, the sportswear company plans to use its branding for various virtual products including apparel, footwear, and sports equipment, according to trademark attorney Josh Gerben.
As the world of NFTs and digital fashion grows more popular (and more profitable), it’s no surprise that New Balance wants in. Its filing report, first seen by Gerben, states that the brand is planning to launch its own “downloadable virtual goods, namely computer programs; retail store services featuring virtual merchandise;” and “entertainment services.” Each portion revolves mainly around New Balance-branded footwear, apparel, sports bags, sports equipment, and accessories for use in the metaverse.
Click here to read the story at inputmag.com.
- What are industry trends?
- What is the metaverse?
- What is “digital fashion”?
- How might the metaverse and digital fashion represent industry trends?
- What is a brand?
- Is New Balance a brand?
- Why do you think New Balance wants to establish a brand presence in the metaverse?
- How do companies protect their brands?
- What is a trademark?
- Based on information from this story, describe the new trademark filings from New Balance.
- How might those filings provide an indication of what New Balance plans to offer in the metaverse?