In April, NFL owners approved a rule change that will allow more players to wear single-digit numbers—once reserved exclusively for quarterbacks, kickers and punters—after teams ran into a shortage of available numbers in the 20-49 range last season.
Click here to read the story at sportico.com.
- According to this story, why did NFL owners approve the rule change on what numbers players could wear?
- What is a brand?
- Can individual athletes be considered a brand? Why or why not?
- According to this story, how might being able to keep the same number a player wore in college impact his or her brand?
- The article suggests that a change in numbers could cost NFL veterans a lot of money. Why?
- Why do you think veterans would be required to purchase all the existing inventory if they wish to choose to change jersey numbers?
- How do you think players changing jersey numbers might impact overall jersey sales in the NFL this year?