Why do it? Not for the money.
Given that most, if not all, revenue streams stopped and what it costs to stage an event of this magnitude in a way that meets NHL standards, returning to play is hardly a financial bonanza.
Click here to read Gary Bettman’s letter to the fans at sportico.com.
- According to Mr. Bettman, what are two reasons the NHL decided to resume their season despite the ongoing pandemic?
- Why do you think the NHL commissioner wanted to communicate to fans that the decision was not influenced by financial considerations?
- What do we mean by the term public relations as it relates to the business of sports and entertainment?
- How might this story represent an example of PR?
- In your opinion, why was it important for the NHL to resume their season this year? Be prepared to discuss your answers.