Ahead of his world title defense at UFC 253, Israel Adesanya has lined up a sponsorship deal with Puma. Puma made the announcement with a special video showing the Nigerian-born New Zealand mixed martial arts fighter standing ontop of Auckland’s Sky Tower. The undefeated UFC Middleweight Champion now stands as the first MMA fighter to sign with the sportswear company.
Click here to read the story from hypebeast.com.
Questions for Classroom Discussion
- What is “historic” about this deal?
- Why would Puma want to sign a MMA athlete to an endorsement deal?
- What characteristics do brands look for when determining which athletes or celebrities to endorse company products and services?
- Why do you think Puma chose to sign Israel Adesanya?
- In your opinion, will this deal help Puma to sell more product? Why or why not?