Nike and Adidas have been ensnared in a relentless rivalry that has commanded the athletic wear industry for nearly 60 years, attempting to out design, out recruit and out cool one another in order to dominate the now $310 billion global sporting goods market.
Click here to read the story at marketingdive.com.
- What is competition?
- What is the difference between direct and indirect competition?
- Are Nike and Adidas direct or indirect competitors?
- How long have the two brands been rivals?
- What is market share?
- Why is market share important to brands like Nike and Adidas?
- According to information from this story, which brand is ahead financially?
- Do you think that could change over time? Why or why not?
- What is brand loyalty?
- Do you think either brand has a high level of loyalty among consumers? Why or why not?
- What is a mission statement?
- According to this story, what is different about each brand’s mission statement?
- What is leadership?
- Why is leadership important to a sports organization?
- How do you think leadership has impacted this rivalry? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.