In “The Variant,” an episode from the Disney+ hit streaming show Loki, it’s tough to miss the barrage of product placements, with fast-paced action and dialogue taking place in front of Charmin toilet paper, Dove soap, and Arm & Hammer deodorant. At one point, Loki barrels down an aisle with vacuum cleaners and fights off an opponent with a corded vacuum while iRobot vacuums are prominently featured on the shelf.
Click here to read the story at popsci.com.
- What is product placement?
- Have you ever noticed a product or brand appearing in something you watched or listened to?
- What impact did the product placement have? Did it change your perception of the brand or product?
- Did the placement have any influence on whether you would purchase the product in the future?
- Why do you think brands pay to place products in movies, shows and other forms of entertainment?
- According to your textbook (The Business of Sports & Entertainment), are all product placements paid?
- According to this article, are all product placements effective?
- What does the author of this story suggest as the most effective way to engage in product placement strategies?