But this year, some brands are instead using their marketing clout to spotlight the injustices of a tournament held in Qatar, while the IPA reports that half of Brits would respect brands that speak out against the Qatar World Cup.
Click here to read the story at thedrum.com.
- What are social issues in sports?
- What are the issues that have turned this year’s World Cup into such a controversial event?
- What is sponsorship?
- What is publicity?
- What type of publicity do you think sponsors of the Qatar World Cup might receive?
- What is one example of a brand taking a stand against the World Cup?
- Why do you think they are taking a stand?
- How might that impact their business or brand?
- Do you think taking a stand represents an example of ambush marketing? Why or why not?
- How might brands taking a stand against the World Cup impact the event as a whole?