Corporate signage is omnipresent at the vast majority of PGA Tour events. Logos pop up everywhere from grandstand seatbacks to flower beds—even tee makers are often branded. Miniature tractors and red umbrellas greet golfers at the John Deere Classic and Travelers Championship respectively.
Click here to read the story at forbes.com.
- What is sponsorship?
- What types of companies might be interested in sponsoring a PGA Tour event?
- What types of brands might not be interested in a PGA Tour event sponsorship? Why?
- According to your textbook (SCC’s The Business of Sports and Entertainment), what is the paradox of commercialism?
- How might this news story provide an example of that concept?
- What is signage?
- What is unique about the Masters from a sponsorship perspective?
- Which brands are sponsors of the Masters?
- Why do you think the Masters takes this approach to sponsorship?
- In your opinion, will the Masters change the approach in the near future? Should they? Why or why not? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.