It was Oct. 15, the night of the Duke-North Carolina football game, and as the game reached a fever pitch, so too did the student section. On and off the field, something special was brewing.
Click here to read the story at Duke chronicle.com.
- What is sports marketing?
- How might this story represent an example of the concept of sports marketing?
- What is the difference between the marketing of sports and marketing through sports?
- Which might best describe the actions of Duke Athletics’ marketing staff?
- What is fandom?
- How does the concept of fandom relate to this news story?
- What is a sports product?
- Do you think Duke football is a product? Why or why not?
- Why is the quality of product important in sports and entertainment?
- How do you think the Duke football program was able to increase attendance at home games?
- What is a game day experience?
- Why is the game day experience important in team sports?
- How did moving the student section impact the game day experience at Duke football games, according to information from this news story?
- How did the marketing staff encourage fans to arrive early on game days?
- Why was that important?
- How do you think tailgating impacts the game day experience?
- What else could Duke football do in the future to improve the game day experience? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.