The Portland Timbers have a new primary jersey and a brand new sleeve sponsor.
The Timbers unveiled their new green and gold jersey Tuesday, at the same time that they announced a new sponsorship deal with video-sharing app TikTok. The TikTok logo will appear on the right sleeve of both Timbers and Thorns jerseys.
Click here to read the story at oregonlive.com.
- In lesson 2.7 of SCC’s textbook, (the Business of Sports & Entertainment), we discuss the concept of the paradox of commercialism. What does that mean?
- How might this news story represent an example of that concept?
- What is sponsorship?
- Why would a brand like TikTok want to sponsor the Portland Timbers and Thorns?
- How do you think the soccer clubs will benefit from this sponsorship?
- Where do you think the most valuable area of a jersey might be from a sponsor’s perspective?