ESPN is reportedly preparing to dramatically change how fans consume live sports.
Click here to read the story at usatoday.com.
- What is consumer behavior?
- Why is it important for a sports and entertainment company like ESPN to understand consumer behavior?
- According to information from this news story, what is project ‘Flagship’ and what might it mean for ESPN if the reports are legitimate?
- Why would ESPN move toward a streaming service?
- How might studying consumer behavior have influenced ESPN’s decision to shift its programming to streaming?
- Why would a company like Apple pay for streaming rights to a league like MLS?
- Can you think of any other examples of a streaming company investing in rights to stream a professional sports league?
- What is cord cutting?
- Why are streaming services such a popular industry trend among broadcast companies and sports leagues?
- What is a target market?
- How might cord cutters represent a target market?
- Why might ESPN be interested in targeting cord cutters?
- Do you think ESPN is at risk of alienating a segment of customer base with the launch of a dedicated streaming service like project ‘Flagship’? Why or why not?