TODAY’s Craig Melvin goes to Atlanta to delve into America’s obsession with sneakers and how the rise of their popularity has turned the sneaker business into a growing $80 billion industry. He speaks with rapper and sneaker collector Killer Mike about the community and culture that surrounds the popular shoe.
Click here to read the story at today.com.
- What is fandom?
- How might sneaker culture represent the concept of fandom?
- What are industry segments?
- How might this story represent an example of an industry segment?
- How have celebrities help to drive the popularity of sneakers?
- What is a brand?
- Which sneaker brands are most popular?
- How much do you think marketing influences the popularity of these brands?
- How much do you think athlete and celebrity endorsement influences the popularity of these brands?
- What else might influence which sneaker brands are most popular? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.