As expected, the USFL and XFL split the already-limited spring football audience in their first head-to-head.
Click here to read the story at sportsmediawatch.com.
- What are ratings?
- How do ratings provide a measure of a team or league’s popularity?
- Why are ratings important to a league like the XFL or USFL?
- What is competition for the entertainment dollar?
- What does the headline of this story mean when it suggest the USFL and XFL “cannibalized” each other?
- How might that demonstrate the concept of competition for the entertainment dollar?
- Why is the quality of the sports product important to TV ratings?
- Why are ratings important to broadcasters?
- How might low ratings impact both leagues moving forward?
- What do you think they could do to increase ratings? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.