The postponement of the Summer Olympics, coupled with the suspension of play across the NBA and NHL, have disappointed fans all over the world. For brands, however, the impact of COVID-19 may require coming up with a new playbook if they want to continue marketing to sports.
For some, that may mean taking money invested in sports marketing and putting it elsewhere, which is what Anheuser-Busch? — a major sports marketer — is doing.
Click here to read the story at marketingdive.com.
- From a sports business perspective, what types of companies are affected by the coronavirus health crisis?
- Do you think this will have a long term impact on the business of sports? Why or why not?
- What can sports teams and brands do to continue connecting with fans even as games and events get postponed or canceled?
- What would you do to keep fans engaged if you were responsible for marketing a sports team or brand? Explain your answer in the space below.
- How are advertisers and sponsors responding to the current sports business situation? How do you think that will influence their marketing strategies in the long term?