According to the headline of an op-ed she wrote for her school paper last year, Penn State senior Grace Miller really, really, really hates sports. She hates the pervasive win-at-all-costs approach that strips away the fun. She hates the “toxic culture” sports can propagate.
Click here to read the story at insidehook.com.
- What is market segmentation?
- What is it called when a market is segmented based on age?
- What is market research?
- What are the different types of market research?
- What type of research is referenced in this news story?
- What is fandom?
- Who is Gen Z?
- What did the research indicate as it relates to fandom in sports among younger fans?
- According to this story, why do you young Americans hate sports?
- If you were a marketing professional working in sports, would the results of this study concern you? Why or why not?
- If you were a marketing professional working for your favorite sports league, what would you do to try to attract the attention of younger fans? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.