DIANA TAURASI SPREAD her arms wide and turned toward the crowd. The WNBA superstar had just scored a playoff career-high 37 points while playing on a bum ankle. She was trending on social media. At 39 years old, Taurasi gifted the fans a vintage-style performance against the Las Vegas Aces. Taurasi’s Phoenix Mercury were headed home, tied 1-1 in the semifinal series.
Click here to read the story at espn.com.
- What is a marketing plan?
- Why is it important for sports leagues like the WNBA to include both short and long term strategies in a marketing plan?
- How would you describe the WNBA’s “transformative” plan?
- What does it mean to “pivot from survive to thrive” as alluded to in the headline of this news story?
- If you were a marketing professional working for the WNBA, what would you suggest the league do from a marketing perspective to help the league to continue to grow? Be prepared to share your ideas in class.
- What is leadership?
- Why is leadership important in the business of sports and entertainment?
- How important has leadership been to the WNBA’s recent success?