Major League Baseball players’ uniform sleeves will sport corporate-sponsored patches beginning next season, and decals on batting helmets could come as early as this postseason, an MLB source said Friday.
Click here to read the story at bostonglobe.com.
- What is sponsorship?
- Why do brands sponsor sports and entertainment properties?
- What is a jersey patch?
- According to your textbook (The Business of Sports & Entertainment), what is the “paradox of commercialism” and how does that concept apply to this news story?
- Based on information from this news story, how much could MLB teams generate in revenue from the sale of jersey patches and helmet decals?
- Why do you think MLB has waited this long to allow the sale of jersey advertising on team uniforms?
- Do you think the size of the decals on batting helmets will matter? Why or why not?
- How do you think fans will respond to the new advertising?
- What types of brands might be interested in a MLB sponsorship?