It was a hot Tuesday evening in August, and thousands of loyal New York Mets fans poured into Citi Field to watch their team take on the highly ranked San Francisco Giants. The stadium in Queens brimmed with hope, despite the team’s recent losing streak.
The Mets lost that night, 8-zip.
Click here to read the story at wsj.com.
- What is branding?
- Why is branding important in sports and entertainment?
- What is market segmentation?
- What are demographics?
- How does this news story demonstrate the concept of segmentation and demographics?
- Why do you think the Mets are trying to “build cred and win” young fans?
- Based on information from this story, what is one example of something the team is doing to connect with a younger audience?
- What is digital marketing?
- How can digital marketing and social media help the Mets to reach younger fans?
- If you were a marketing professional working in the Mets’ front office, what would you do to connect with a younger fan base? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.