Earlier this week rumors circulated that Facebook was planning to change its company name next week as it focuses on building a “metaverse.” The name change could be formally announced at the social network’s annual Connect conference on October 28, or sooner. Reports online suggest it is meant to signal that Facebook is more than just a social media platform – much the way Amazon evolved from an online book retailer.
Click here to read the story at forbes.com.
- What is ‘metaverse’?
- Why might marketers be interested in the opportunities the ‘metaverse’ might provide to help reach and connect with consumers?
- What is branding?
- What is rebranding?
- Do you think there is a risk associated with a rebrand? Why or why not?
- What is publicity?
- How does negative publicity impact a business?
- If the rumors are true, why would Facebook be interested in a rebrand?
- Do you think that might be a risky strategy for them? Why or why not?
- How might a Facebook rebrand impact consumers?