Kraft Heinz brand Bagel Bites asked Twitter users to decide “How should a dog wear pants?” as part of its celebration of National Dog Week, which runs Sept. 20-26, per information emailed to Mobile Marketer. It has received more than 73,000 votes as of press time.
Click here to read the story at mobilemarketer.com.
Questions for Classroom Discussion:
- What do you think Bagel Bites hoped to accomplish with this campaign? Why do you think only 60 pairs of the dog pants were available for purchase?
- How do these holidays/celebrations provide opportunities for marketers to promote their brands? Do you think there are any risks associated with trying to align a brand with these types of holidays / events? Why or why not?
- How do you think social media provides an opportunity for companies to align their brands with conversations around events like National Dog Week?
- What is publicity? Based on infromation from this story, do you think Bagel Bites successfully generated buzz surrounding its brand with this National Dog Week promotion? Why or why not?
- The article suggests this is the first major advertising campaign in almost twenty years for Bagel Bites. Why do you think they chose to launch a big campaign now?