The cattle part as Meredith Ellis edges her small four-wheeler through the herd, silently counting the cows and calves.
Click here to read the story at qz.com.
- What is entrepreneurship?
- What do you think might be important considerations to anyone thinking of starting a business?
- One key to any startup business to finding success is to either solve a problem or meet a need that isn’t already being met in the marketplace. Does the concept that Meredith Ellis is hoping to sell meet either of those criteria?
- Why is beef consumption hard on the planet, according to this news story?
- How is Meredith Ellis’s idea attempting to minimize that impact?
- What is a profit?
- What is a profit margin?
- What costs might impact a rancher’s profit margins?
- Do you think efforts to build a more sustainable business model might eat into a rancher’s profits? Why or why not?
- What is a niche market?
- How might a niche market provide an opportunity for an aspiring entrepreneur?
- The news story states “Ellis knows she could make more money selling in a niche market. She could sell her land for development.” What does that mean?
- If she could make more money, why do you think she doesn’t?