In online gaming parlance, Coke’s new advertising effort to engage with the gaming community is getting “smoked”—and that’s an extreme understatement.
As of today, a YouTube video accompanying the beverage giant’s new Real Magic “global brand philosophy and platform” had earned a whopping 56,000 dislikes to 3,900 likes.
Click here to read the story at mediapost.com.
- What is market segmentation?
- What type of segmentation might be represented when a brand builds an advertising campaign specifically to reach gamers?
- Why do you think Coke might be interested in targeting the gaming community?
- What is engagement?
- Why might Coke want to engage gamers?
- Based on information from this story, describe Coke’s advertising strategy for reaching gamers.
- According to this story, how successful was that effort?
- Why do you think this was the result?
- If you were a marketing professional working for Coke, what would you have advised that they do differently as part of their effort to reach gamers?