In 2015, KFC recruited Saturday Night Live alum Darrell Hammond to play Colonel Harland Sanders in a series of commercials declaring, “I’m back America!”
Click here to read the story at nrn.com.
- What is market segmentation?
- Why do businesses and brands consider segmentation strategies as part of their marketing plans?
- What are the different ways a business or brand could segment a market?
- What is demographic segmentation?
- Based on information from this story, how would you describe KFC’s core customer?
- If KFC has a goal of reaching younger consumers, what type of segmentation might that represent?
- Why would KFC want to attract younger consumers as this story suggests?
- According to this news story, how did a celebrity endorsement campaign help to drive KFC’s turnaround in 2015?
- Who is the celebrity face of KFC’s new campaign?
- Why do you think they chose this particular celebrity?
- What is a target market?
- Who is KFC targeting with the new campaign?
- How might that help the brand to reach a younger audience?
- How might menu innovations help the brand to connect with younger consumers?
- What have done from a menu perspective to try to reach a younger demographic?
- What else could KFC do to attract more younger consumers? Be prepared to discuss your ideas in class.