When the coronavirus struck the U.S. in January, 24-year-old Dakota Hendrickson was just weeks away from launching his nanofiber HVAC air filter startup, Filti. Suddenly making filters for facemasks became an even better idea. “I will not forget the minute we flipped [the website] on,” says Hendrickson. It was March 27 at around 10:30 a.m.
Click here to read the story from inc.com.
Questions for Classroom Discussion
- What is entrepreneurship?
- What is a pivot as it relates to business?
- Why is it important for businesses to recognize when a pivot might be necessary (and have a willingness to commit to the pivot)?
- According to this story, how did Filti pivot when the pandemic hit?
- Based on what you learned from this news story, was it the right strategy for Filti to pivot? Why or why not?