The J.C. Penney Company on Wednesday (Oct. 25) revealed a glimpse into its holiday marketing playbook, including a deluge of savings opportunities and giveaways, video ads, a social media “Penney Prepper” challenge, paid creator partnerships and more.
Click here to read the story at marketingdive.com.
- What is seasonal marketing?
- Why are the holidays important to retailers like J.C. Penney?
- What is a marketing plan?
- Why is it important that retailers like J.C. Penney have a marketing strategy for the holidays?
- According to this story, what are some things in J.C. Penney’s holiday marketing plans?
- What is promotion?
- What type of promotion is a giveaway?
- Why would J.C. Penney offer giveaways?
- What is advertising?
- What are the different advertising channels?
- How might different advertising channels help a retailer to reach different types of customers?
- What are “creator partnerships” and how might that represent an example of marketing?
- What is the “Penny Prepper” challenge?
- What is consumer engagement?
- How might the “Penny Prepper” challenge help to elevate levels of consumer engagement?
- What is social media marketing?
- Why is social media important to the success of the “Penny Prepper” challenge?
- What is Black Friday?
- Why is Black Friday important to retailers?
- How would you describe J.C. Penney’s approach to Black Friday marketing based on information from this news story?
- What is the customer experience?
- How do you think J.C. Penney’s approach to Black Friday might give us an indication to how the company wants to prioritize the customer experience? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.