When it emerged on the global scene back in October 2021, the metaverse was held up as the next big thing in technology with Mark Zuckerberg even rebranding Facebook as Meta.
Click here to read the story at qz.com.
- What is digital marketing?
- Why do you think businesses and brands invest in digital marketing?
- What is consumer engagement?
- What is the metaverse?
- How might the metaverse help a business or brand to increase consumer engagement?
- Why do you think the metaverse has become such a popular marketing strategy?
- According to this story, the metaverse might not be as effective as a marketing tool as many thought. Why?
- What are three examples of businesses or brands who are pulling back from investments in the metaverse?
- What is rebranding?
- What risks might be associated with a rebranding initiative?
- Given its latest move as it relates to the metaverse, do you think Facebook will regret rebranding as Meta? Why or why not?
- This news story suggests Meta has shifted its focus. How so?
- In your opinion, will the metaverse be a viable marketing channel in the future for most big businesses and brands? Why or why not? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.