Early in the pandemic, people couldn’t get enough pizza. Now, not so much.
Papa Johns’ sales are still up, but growth is slowing. In the second quarter, sales at its North American restaurants open at least a year grew just under 1%, down from 5% in the the same period last year. In the second quarter of 2020, sales jumped 28%.
Click here to read the story at cnn.com.
- Why do you think pizza sales are slowing?
- Why might that trend be worrisome to Papa Johns?
- What is differentiation?
- Why is differentiation important in marketing?
- How might Papa Johns pizza bowls represent an example of differentiation?
- Why do you think allowing customers to create their own bowls might be important?
- What do you think goes into the development of a new product?
- What considerations do you think Papa Johns explored when developing the pizza bowls product?
- What is innovation?
- Do you think this story represents an example of innovation? Why or why not?