A California lawsuit says Mars didn’t warn consumers of the health problems associated with the use of titanium dioxide in Skittles.
Click here to read the story at cnet.com.
- What is false advertising? Does this news story represent an example of false advertising? Why or why not?
- What is labeling as it relates to marketing?
- Why is labeling an important aspect of marketing?
- Why do you think the United States government regulates things like product labels and product ingredients?
- What U.S. government organization is responsible for regulating the ingredients of products like Skittles or other candy?
- What are ethics?
- Why are ethics important in business?
- Is there a difference between ethical behavior and illegal behavior?
- If the allegations about Mars failing to warn consumers about one of the ingredients in Skittles candy are true, do you feel they acted unethically? Why or why not?
- Do you, or have you, eaten Skittles candy?
- How does this lawsuit impact your perception of the brand?
- What is publicity?
- Even if Skittles wins the lawsuit and the allegations are proven untrue, do you think the negative publicity will have a long-lasting effect on the brand?
- Might it impact candy sales? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.