The name is synonymous with business success. This is the 67th edition of our ranking of America’s largest companies. Together, the 500 corporations on this year’s list generated $13.8 trillion in revenue, or some two-thirds of the U.S. economy. Explore the list to see who prospered, who stumbled, and why.
Click here to read the story at fortune.com.
- What is the Fortune 500?
- Why do you think Fortune puts together a ranking of America’s largest companies every year?
- According to this story, how much revenue did the 500 corporations on the list generate?
- Based on information from this story, identify one example of a company who “prospered” in the last year. Why do you think that company performed well? How did the pandemic impact its business?
- Based on information from this story, identify one example of a company who “stumbled” in the last year. Why do you think that company saw a decrease in performance? How did the pandemic impact its business?
- What factors might influence how well a company performs?
- What types of businesses were hurt the most by the pandemic?
- What types of businesses saw some economic benefit from the pandemic?
- How might those companies perform in the next year as the country recovers from the impact of the pandemic? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.